Irish Soda Bread
Easy and versatile recipe which has stood the test of time as an Irish classic.
- 500g (1lb) white flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 350-400ml buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 190*C.
- Grease and flour a loaf tin.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, and then whisk in the egg and honey.
- Form a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and then pour in the wet mixture.
- Add a little extra flour if you find the dough is too wet and sticky.
- Using a wooden spoon, bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Shape into a rough oval and place in the loaf tin.
- Sprinkle with a little flour on top and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
Allow to cool before slicing and enjoying with a little butter
Tip: Add in chopped spinach or even some grated cheddarfor an additional tasty flavour