"Cycling in Lombardy is more than a passion – it is life itself!” our colleague Stefano claims. Our Lake Como Fresh Eire Adventure will lead you from Bergamo, Lecco and Bellagio, where you’ll sample their unique atmospheres, their beautiful landscapes, their friendly people and their typical food and exquisite wines. This cycling paradise is not, unlike other areas of Italy, over-run with tourists in high season. Tourism is a growing local industry and as a result you will be given an authentic warm welcome and a unique perspective on what is sure to become a tourism hot-spot in the not-too-distant future.
Starting in Bergamo (Citta Alta), a walled medieval town only 50km from Milan, you’ll cycle for a couple of days in the spectacular setting of the Orobie Pre-Alps mountains, through the vineyards of Scanzo (famous for it’s Moscato di Scanzo) passing through towns such as San Pellegrino Terme (famous for it’s mineral water and Liberty style buildings) and Taleggio (famous for its cheese). We’ll stay in Bergamo for two nights. During our tour we will visit the factory of Italy’s most famous bicycle brand, Bianchi, where you’ll have the chance to learn the secrets of modern bike building techniques and of Bianchi’s 120 year history. You’ll also see the famous ‘malgo’ agri-houses situated on the hillsides.
We shall cycle through the Adda River valley, where Leonardo Da Vinci lived for several years and where he invented some of his hydraulic engineering feats (some of them are still working, such as the astoundingly ferry which crosses the river propelled only by the strength of a man’s arm) before arriving in Lecco for one night.
The final days of your holiday will be spent on the spectacular coasts of Lake Como, an exclusive place blessed by the beautiful backdrop of the Alps. We will stay in chic Bellagio for two nights and we will offer an optional visit to the fascinating Museo del Ciclismo in Margrelio.
Italy's most celebrated lake, Lake Como, really does deserve to hog the limelight. Its gnarly shoreline is punctuated by the Rhaetian Alps in the background, the lake boasts more snap-worhty vistas than you can point a Canon FT at. Como's eponymous main town remains lustrous throughout the year and its grand piazzas are perfect for idling along, while the town of Bellagio is impossibly pretty. On our final day we will ferry across the lake into Switzerland and visit the largest Italian speaking town outside of Italy. There will always be time for a gelato before returning to our gorgeous hotel overlooking the lake before dining together one last time.
While this tour is designed with experienced cyclists in mind (there are many hills) we will also be cycling along mostly flat bike paths and of course be offering full van sport to anyone who might not wish to do the hills. This is your vacation – not boot camp! Our average daily biking will be in the region of 55 miles with shorter, less hilly options available.
Any start dates available upon request (subject to availability)
- Price: $3900 pps. Single supplement $500
- Use of Bianchi Hybrid bike, Bell or Giro Helmet
- Water bottle, handlebar bag, route notes & maps
- Transfers to/from Bergamo rail/air/hotel on start/end day
- 4 exquisite dinners & wine
- 3 gourmet lunches & winesAdmissions to all included attractions & tastings
- Baggage transfers
- Tips for hotels/restaurants
- Healthy snacks, water, full guiding services, support vehicle.
- 5 nights B&B in central, 3 star hotels (continental breakfast)
- Deluxe upgrades to 4 and 5 star hotels available at extra cost upon special request, subject to availability.
- Upgrade to an electric hybrid bike if you think the hills might be too much for you but you want to bike all the way (available at extra cost - $250)
- Self-Guided Extension packages available in Milan
- Gratuities for Guides