LEEK & POTATO SOUP
Try this delicious, warming, winter soup recipe. We've been loving the homemade soups prepared by Padraic every day during our internship at Fresh Eire Adventures. There's nothing better than a hot soup in the middle of a winters day. Leek & Potato soup is a staple on Irish menus so you're bound to see it on any one of your Ireland bike trips with Fresh Eire Adventures.
Ingredients : (for 4)
♣ 5 medium potatoes
♣ 1 Red Onion
♣ Half bulb of garlic
♣ 1 large leek
♣ 4 celery stalks
♣ 200g Butter
♣ Large bunch of parsley
♣ 1L of water
- To begin, wash and slice the leeks, garlic, onions and celery. Make sure all your ingredients are perfectly clean.
- Wash and peel potatoes, cut into pieces. Then, par-boil your potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Put the potatoes into another container, let them rest. Wash your pan, you will need it for the vegetables.
- Into the pan, melt butter and when the butter starts to bubble add the leeks, onions, garlic and celery and begin to sweat them.
- Add your remaining ingredients into the pan, simmer for 5 minutes and then add water to ensure a smooth blend.
- Mix them all, cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Using a hand blender mix all ingredients into a smooth velvety texture.
- Let stand and, just before serving, add chopped parsley.
- Serve, and perhaps consider a light drizzle of Truffle-infused olive oil for a final touch.
I really appreciate discovering a vegetarian cuisine during this work experience. Usually, I don’t eat too much soup, but here with Padraic’s help I was truly surprised savouring this leek and potato soup in particular. We hope you will enjoy it.